Beeckestijn is an eighteenth century country estate with an imposing style – a beautiful example of the Dutch country estate culture. It is one of the few entirely intact large country houses, which was created as summer residences for wealthy Amsterdam regents on the edge of the dunes in Kennemerland.
The current country estate was created from a seventeenth century manor. Since the beginning of the seventeenth century, the country estate has undergone at least six alterations and extensions. These were commissioned by the Amsterdam regency families Corver, Trip and Boreel.
An extensive expansion and beautification took place between 1716 and 1721, commissioned by the couple Jan Trip jr. and Petronella van Hoorn. This modernisation involved prominent Amsterdam tradesmen such as the contractor Jan van der Streng and the mason Anthony Turck. It is possible that the design was done by Ignatius van Logteren who in any case was responsible for the stucco of the interior.
De seventeenth century façade was replaced by a Louis-XIV façade, with chequered pilasters, a richly decorated entrance and the façade crowned with a dial. The coats of arms of the patrons were placed in the centre of the façade.
For more than two centuries, Beeckestijn remained in the ownership of the Boreel family, until it was acquired by the Velsen municipality in 1952. During the war the house was seriously damaged. It became uninhabitable and key interior elements disappeared. Since then, the house has been restored with money provided by private bodies, funds, the municipality, province, government and the European Union. The country estate now houses a platform for Gardening and Landscape Culture.