Downend, Frenchay, Hambrook, Gloucestershire – Bristol directory 1871
Downend, Frenchay, Hambrook, Gloucestershire – Bristol directory 1871
ADJACENT VILLAGES ON THE GLOUCESTERSHIRE SIDE OF BRISTOL
Mathews’ Bristol Street Directory 1871
There were a few larger houses in the area. Cleeve Dale was demolished n the late 60s. Cleeve Hill House was owned by the Players, Bragges and Caves, and it was the Cave Family who bought up much of the land within the Parish Council area. The house was demolished in the 1930s, after the sale of the Estate in the 1920s, which saw the beginning of house building on a large scale in the area. Cleeve Lodge was converted into a Residential Home some years ago.
On Bromley Heath there was a Quaker Burial Ground dating from 1657, with the last Burial taking place in the late 1800s; it is now being used as a garden. Christchurch, Downend was built in 1831 as a Chapel of Ease to St James Church, Mangotsfield, in whose Parish Downend resided until Christchurch became a Parish Church in 1874, with a Chancel being added to the church in 1914. In the Church yard, many of Downend’s notables are buried such as members of the Grace family. There has been a Baptist Church here since 1786, originally an off shoot from the early Broadmead Baptist Church in Bristol. The Methodists had a place of Worship in Downend, prior to moving to North Street, and later to Staple Hill.
The Cave Family ran a small school near the Green Dragon Public House, but this was closed with the erection in 1841 of Downend National School, later to become Christchurch School. Other schools like Bromley Heath School were opened to meet the needs of post-war developments.
The whole area would have been in the boundary of Kingswood Forest, the Royal Hunting Forest under the jurisdiction of the Constable of Bristol Castle, all standing within the area known as Barton Regis. The Forest gradually succumbed to squatters and coal mines, but the Downend and Bromley Heath area remained mainly agricultural with some stone quarries, not coal mines.
A number of small farms worked the area mainly grazing livestock, with a small amount of arable land. Only three of these farm houses remain, Baugh Farm, Cleeve Hill Farm and Bromley Farm.
Records of Mangotsfield and Downend Burial Board (DA10, Gloucestershire Archives)
Census returns for every parish in the South Gloucestershire area, 1841-1901, are available in the searchroom at Bristol Record Office.
Additionally all the censuses between 1841 and 1901 are available on ancestry.co.uk. Users are required to subscribe in order to use the data, but the site is accessible free of charge from all libraries in Gloucestershire and South Gloucestershire, as well as in the searchroom at Gloucestershire Archives.
Alford Rev. G. MA. curate www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/10510275875/in/
Amsbury Daniel, vict, Foresters’ Arms Salisbury Road. bristolslostpubs.eu/page349.html
Bartlett H. W. accountant (information needed)
Biggs Edwin, post office www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/9227272965/
Bridgman George, farmer, Cleve Hill (information needed)
Bryant George, undertaker, etc (information needed)
Cave Daniel, Cleve Hill www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/9997995266/
Cooksley Mr. Overndale (information needed)
Croome John (information needed)
Dando George, cordwainer (information needed)
Davis Henry, carrier, beer retailer, and ﬂy proprietor (information needed)
Davis James, beer retailer and mason, White Swan North Street. 1870 – 72. James Davis / 1883 – 86. Henry Davis / 1901. Elizabeth Cooksley / 1904. G. Williams / 1928 – 31. John Flowers 1935 – 39. Frederick Flower.
Davis John, coal merchant and ﬂy proprietor (information needed)
Davis John, grocer and mason (information needed)
Emett Charles, yeoman (information needed)
Grace Henry Mills, surgeon www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2053017584/
Greenway Capel, painter, etc (information needed)
Greenway Charles, stone cutter (information needed)
Hale Joel, blacksmith (information needed)
Hawkins Thomas, haulier (information needed)
Haynes Richard, Cleeve villa (information needed)
Hodges Robert, brewer (information needed)
Holder Isaac, smith and wheelwright, vict, Horse Shoe Inn bristolslostpubs.eu/page234.html
Holder Thomas, nailer and smith (information needed)
Jones George, farmer (information needed)
Leonard and Hill, Baugh farm www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/10625932583/
Lowe Hoskin Charles, Cleve dale (information needed)
Mayes R. (information needed)
Millard Thomas, Ivy Bower (information needed)
Monk Samuel, sexton (information needed)
Morgan Mrs Francis, Clematis House www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/11620097826/
Peache Rev. Alfred, M.A. incumbent (information needed)
Pollock J. A. Overndale (information needed)
Protheroe Capt. Samuel, R.N. Retreat (information needed)
Rugg John, farmer (information needed)
Stephens Thomas, O. Overn Hill (information needed)
Taylor John, farmer (information needed)
Thomas Henry, vict, Green Dragon Inn 1856. George Thomas / 1863 – 65. Robert Hodges / 1870 – 74. Henry Thomas / 1879. William Tibbatts / 1885 – 86. G. Woolfe 1893. ? Galpin / 1894. James Bussell / 1901. Charles Butt / 1906. Charlotte Ford / 1910. Ernest Beak / 1923. William Vaughan 1928 – 39. Martha Westlake / 1940. Thomas Arthur Cordy / 1960. S. J. Callaway.
Thompson Henry, baker (information needed)
Turvey Joseph, grocer, carrier and ﬂy proprietor (information needed)
Downend, Staple Hill and Mangotsfield Photo Set
During the 18th Century most of the attractive large houses around Frenchay Common, were built by rich merchants and businessmen. Many were Quakers attracted by the existing community. This migration from the increasingly polluted city was facilitated by road improvements through nearby Stapleton to Hambrook with its Turnpiking in 1727.
The 19th Century saw changes to the Common with the building of the Parish Church in 1834 and use of the Common for cricket and games. Frenchay became popular as a beauty spot for visitors with local people providing tea gardens and boating on the river. Some of the large houses such as Cleevewood House provided attractions such as a ‘lover’s walk’ through the woods.
The stone quarries along the river were also an important factor in the development of Frenchay. The distinctive reddish pennant stone provided local building materials both within Frenchay and later, with transport improvements, was used elsewhere.
A number of grand houses such as Newlands, Cliff Court and Malmains were demolished to make way for modern housing estates.
The Frenchay Village museum reflects the history of a unique village that was for centuries a centre for Quakers. It is run entirely by volunteers and receives support from South Gloucestershire Council and advice from Bristol City Museum.
Belﬁeld William,Captain JP. Malmains (demolished now Malmains Drive)
Carter Rev. John 1835-1875 The Parish Church of St. John Baptist
Crossman Edward, surgeon, M.R.C.S. White’s Hill (information needed)
Daniel Edward, solicitor (information needed)
Gough Mrs Ann, ladies’ school, Clarendon House (information needed)
Hayward John, St John, Esq. (information needed)
Hobbs Mrs. S. ironworks (information needed)
Hobbs Mrs Lucy, iron agricultural implements & edge tool manufacturer
Hutton Charles, dairyman & butcher (information needed)
Lloyd Judge, Cedar Hall (information needed)
Lloyd Edward John, Esq, Q.C. (information needed)
Mackenzie Colonel Simon, Frenchay Lodge (information needed)
Maggs Henry, builder (information needed)
Matthews Thomas G. (information needed)
Norgrove Joseph, public house (information needed)
Pearce William, ﬂour mills, miller & farmer (information needed)
Perry William & Co. woolstaplers (information needed)
Pinnell Thomas, shoe maker (information needed)
Piper Samuel, National School, (his name was actually Solomon Piper) Mrs Elizabeth Piper, school mistress
Pritchard George, stone mason (information needed)
Robinson Mrs. (information needed)
Stubbs Richard, solicitor, Clift Court (demolished)
Surtees Mrs, Manor House (information needed)
Tanner William (information needed)
Taylor William Trevor, Esq; Newlands (information needed)
Thomas Thomas, Begbrook House (information needed)
Tilley Thomas, carpenter (information needed)
Tuckett Philip Debell (information needed)
Tuckett Francis Fox (information needed)
The Tuckett Family of Frenchay
Philip Debell Tuckett purchased this house in 1800 and on his death his widow, with her five sons, removed to the house now called Frenchay House. Philip Debell Tuckett, jun., her eldest son, on his marriage, purchased Grove House, which had been previously occupied by Joseph Storrs Fry, who died in 1835. Philip Tuckett died in 1872 and his widow continued to live in the house until her death in 1892.
Francis, second son of Mrs. Tuckett, lived, after his marriage, in the house now called the Old House; on his death in 1868 he was succeeded by his son Francis Fox Tuckett, who died in 1913. James Taylor purchased the house which is now the rectory in 1800. Rachell Cotterell had a boarding school for Quaker girls in the early part of the 18th century at Frenchay (it is uncertain in which house). She married c. 1739 Anthony Purver, son of a Hampshire farmer, who had become a Quaker, who assisted her in the school. He had come to Hambrook, as tutor in a Quaker family.
He was a great scholar, and translated the Old Testament from the original, with annotations. This work, known as "The Quaker Bible," was published in 1764 at the expense of Dr. Fothergill.
In 1827 Miss Player was holding a school in the Manor Cottage, which was then owned by the Tuckett family. The late Mr. F. F. Tuckett left a plan of the graveyard made many years ago, in which ninety-five graves are shown. The names of members of the following families appear:- Fox, Fry, Gayner (in five generations), Player, Taylor and Tuckett.
Visger Mrs, Woodfield House (information needed)
Vowles Hannah; grocer & postmistress (information needed)
Wall Mrs (information needed)
Welchman T. baker (information needed)
Wheeler Trevor, Esq; Lintonfields (information needed)
Conveyance to Bristol, – Omnibuses – George Gilby, daily; Thomas Chamberlin, (Chamberlain?) daily 9 a.m.; Stephen Derrett, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday, at 10 a.m.
Carriers to Bristol, James Hallier, daily; Thomas Chamberlin, daily; Stephen Derrett, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday, at 10 a.m.; George Gilby, daily.
At the time of the Domesday Book, Hambrook was a separate manor but later joined with the manor of Winterbourne. Wood was the principal industry of the area and the village had its own wool factory. At the beginning of this century there was also an old mill used for corn grinding, but its ruins disappeared when the motorway was constructed.
Within the village there are a number of listed buildings, including Hambrook Grove, an 18th century house now a hotel. Hambrook House (grade II-listed) is of 17th century origin and was refaced in 1784. To the rear of this property is an icehouse (grade II-listed). This is a domed stone structure sunk into the ground and surmounted by the top 6 metres of the spire of Winterbourne Church which was damaged by lightning in 1871. This structure has recently been restored.
The 18th century Hambrook Court was once tenanted by Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Brereton who commanded the troops during the Bristol Riots of 1831 and who unfortunately committed suicide because of the general condemnation over his lack of strong action against the rioters.
A natural centre to the village is formed by the junction of Bristol Road and the B4427. The buildings around it form an important group and contribute to the overall character of the area. The short terrace of cottages and the detached house of Evan Coyd create a visual enclosure at the junction as well as providing architectural variety to the street scene.
Hambrook Court and Hambrook Grove are also strong and important features, with their impressive boundary walls and wooded grounds which make a significant contribution to the landscape.
To the south of Hambrook, Hambrook House and The Grange (grade II-listed) provide visual interest, grand in style and size. Their high stone walls and mature trees add to the street scene creating the effect of an imposing avenue leading up to the junction on the brow of the hill.
To the west of the village along the stream, varied and interesting houses are further enhanced by a reen flowing alongside the road. Picturesque white railings bordering the stream complete the tranquil setting.
At the end of the road the 17th century Faber Farm (grade II*-listed) and Hambrook Farm (grade II-listed) are prominent, their imposing size and gabled features adding variety and grandeur to the streetscape.
Adams Frederick & Charles, quarrymen, Snake Quarries
Allaway Arthur, farmer
Arthur ?. oil merchant, Rockleaze House
Barker Mrs, White’s Hill
Bissex Edward, beer retailer
Bryant Henry, blacksmith
Coombs James, miller, Hambrook Mill
Crossman Edward, M.D. White’s Hill
Crudge Richard, vict, White Horse 1853. Edward Phillips / 1871 – 72. Richard Crudge / 1874 – 79. Frederick Hill / 1883 – 1901. Mary Ann Hill / 1902 – 06. Henry Price 1910. George Howe / 1923 – 39. Jeremiah Emery / 1960. W. J. Hutton.
The White Horse public house was built around the 1700’s and is located at the bottom of Hambrook Hill. The old malt house is situated next to the structure. The public house was a regular stop for many people travelling through the area heading towards either London or Gloucester, as it was built upon the ‘Old Gloucester Road’. Through time, it has seen many changes to the area, and now stands in the shadows of the M4 motorway.
Paranormal Activity Eyewitness Reports With most buildings that have been standing for many years, there is always a high amount of unexplained instances, and this is no different with the White Horse. Many people have reported bottles and glasses falling from the shelves.
One of the most strangest reports, was when the landlord came down one morning and found that all the tables had been cleaned, polish and all neatly laid out (I am sure that he would have loved this to continue!!). There was a report of the bar gas being turned off without anyone entering the cellar, and staff have reported hearing strange noises coming from the kitchen and bar area.
Davies James, tailor and draper (information needed)
Day Edwin, M.D. surgeon, Hambrook Court House The 18th century Hambrook Court was once tenanted by Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Brereton who commanded the troops during the Bristol Riots of 1831 and who unfortunately committed suicide because of the general condemnation over his lack of strong action against the rioters.
Dove Jacob, farmer, Hambrook House (Bristol Road, Winterbourne, South Gloucestershire BS16 1RG)
Edwards Thomas, grocer and tea dealer, boot & shoe maker
Felux James, farmer and shopkeeper
Friesland John Savage, artiﬁcial manure salesman
Fugill Mrs. shopkeeper
Good Benjamin, baker, confectioner & postmaster
Good Joseph, carpenter and grocer
Greenway Henry Oliver, farmer, land surveyor & valuer
Greenway John, farmer
Harcombe George, carpenter, White’s Hill (near The White Horse)
Horne Ferdinand William, nurseryman, seedsman, and ﬂorist
Howes George, hat manufacturer
Hutton Joseph, haulier
Jenkins George, assistant surgeon
Jones James, carpenterer
Jones William, farmer
Ludwell James, haulier
Luton Edward, beer retailer
Matthews Charles, farmer
May William, plumber and painter
Mirehouse Mrs. Hambrook Grove The Hambrook Grove is a listed building that has been standing since the 18th Century. It is located at the top of Hambrook hill and very close to The White Horse public house. The building is located in a rural area on the northern fringes of Bristol. It is set alongside the Ham Brook just to the west of the River Frome and is surrounded by the M4 and M32 Motorways and the Avon Ring Road. Hambrook, Originally a Domsday settlement, today comprises a mix of small cottages, farmsteads and larger houses mostly dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. The Hambrook Grove is currently being used as a hotel and is a lovely place to stay.
Monk Sergeant, police station
Nicholls Mrs. Mary Ann, beer retailer
Owen James, ironworker
Paget George, miller, Hambrook Mill
Parker Thomas, baker and shopkeeper
Perry William, wool dealer
Pierce John, blacksmith & farrier
Pullin John, nurseryman, Rose Nurseries
Rice John, plasterer
Tichbon Thomas, harness maker & saddler
Wall James, farmer, Mulgrove farm
Wheler C. T. Linton ﬁeld house
Winter Samuel, butcher
Young Joseph, farmer
Young Moses, currier & leather seller